Tuesday, February 1, 2011

On the road again

We touched down in Heathrow today. I feel kind of badass. Even though this is BAD. This is when I realize that I’m totally not twenty-four anymore. 


The judge sustained the deportation notice. It was a “Matter of internal security.” We're leaving our home and it might be for good. 
"This is the best sign we could get?." Flickr Creative Commons. Web. 25 Jan 2011. 
I feel like this is about to be fairly major. I need some way to talk about it, to get it off my chest, even if it is to a computer screen. Benj isn’t stressed, not even a little bit. I don’t think he’s hit the “I’m not twenty-four” mind screw just yet. He went out again today and stood on his soap box and probably outran the cops and almost got arrested (or resisted arrest) and came home all pumped and wanting to punch a plate glass window.
   
Thank God, our kids are great. Thank God. They have no way of grasping what went wrong but they are totally willing to adapt. Kiel is so sweet and sleeps through everything and would eat shit off a shovel. Low key kid, I tell ya. Amelie just started first grade and she could make friends with a headless Barbie doll. I’m bummed we have to take her out of school because it’s a good school and I didn’t want my children to experience deportation before they even got a handle on playground politics and learned how to blow their own nose. 

Benj found us a place to stay for the first month that we’re here until we can figure out where we’re going from here. It’s some old dude who lives with his wife south of London who watches Benj’s videos on YouTube. I’ll figure out how to homeschool Amelie in the meantime. Benj can make work wherever he goes. Goes from bar to bar seeing if they’ll pay him to play. And I...well I paint. And while I don’t get excited over painting trim on houses or doing single-stroke portraits of kittens and old men with their hunting gear, this is my adventure.

"English." Flickr Creative Commons. Web. 22 Jan 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment